|Apply for this job|
|As the region’s only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/SusARER, and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, and natural beauty.HMC has an outstanding opportunity for a full time day shift Manager for Respiratory Care (Health Services Manager). Under general direction, the Manager will assist in developing strategic goals to ensure adherence to the organization’s mission, vision, values, and business strategies. The Manager supports overall program development and service priorities emphasizing service excellence, patient and family centered care, patient safety, and patient satisfaction. This position will support leadership within the department with activities that promote program growth, fiscal responsibility and staff satisfaction.|
|Planning and Goal Setting
1. Assists manager in implementing departmental goals as outlined by leadership. Helps monitor performance toward goal completion and suggests strategies to optimize outcomes.
2. Supports manager in all aspects of departmental operations and planning.
3. Collaborates with manager and medical directors to formulate departmental and area goals
4. Assists manager in monitoring identified targets for individual and departmental performance
5. Solicits customer (physician, staff, patient, family, other department) input for Respiratory Care and Sleep Lab program planning. Acts as liaison to physicians, administration, patients/families, and other disciplines for the department as assigned by manager.
1. Maintains clinical knowledge related to respiratory care, sleep medicine and diagnostic technologies and integrates knowledge into work practices.
2. Coordinates clinical benchmarking and research studies for the improvement of quality outcomes in the respiratory care and sleep lab as directed by manager and medical director
3. Maintenance and development of clinical data base to promote research and quality care delivery.
4. Helps oversee preventative maintenance, repairs and obsolescence programs for all program equipment.
5. At the direction of the manager, assists with evaluating and recommending the purchase of new equipment.
1. Oversees employee schedules to ensure 24/7 coverage to effectively cover priority needs. Serves as a timely resource for staff in complex problem solving involving patient and family issues. Maintains accessibility, response, and follow-through on off shifts and weekends.
2. Provides input into the design of jobs, work processes, work flows, etc for the Respiratory Care department and suggests appropriate changes to improve effectiveness, productivity, efficiency that support the overall goals for the department and organization.
3. Assists with oversight of and helps ensure departmental readiness including equipment, supplies, staff, and supervision. Evaluates the purchase of new equipment and supplies for improved service delivery. Ensures optimal functioning of diagnostic equipment through trouble-shooting and collaboration with clinical engineering and technical support.
4. Oversees the Respiratory Care office to assure data collection and billing processes are seamless and thorough.
5. Helps ensure environmental safety compliance in work environment and processes.
|Clinical Quality and Education
1. Under the general direction of the Department Manager and Medical Director(s), coordinates, develops, and participates in respiratory and sleep related research, conferences and special projects that improve the prestige of the department and HMC within the medical community.
2. Directs the clinical specialists and educators in the development of educational programs and hospital inservice education for therapists, sleep technologists, nurses, physicians based on identified needs
3. Aids and directs employee development programs both within and outside the hospital.
4. Ensures employee competence through comprehensive training in respiratory and sleep technologies and pulmonary medicine.
5. Works with clinical specialists to provide on-site education of staff to meet current standards and clinical practice guidelines.
6. Oversees staff completion of hospital-wide competency programs.
7. As identified by manager, works with clinical specialists and educators to meet compliance with clinical protocols.
8. Under the direction of the Department Manager, designs, reviews and revises policies, procedures and guidelines for standardization of care.
9. Assists with coordination of continuous quality improvement measures as directed by manager.
10. Reviews patient care education materials to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of information.
|Internal Relations and Teamwork
1. Collaborates and promotes team building and staff satisfaction.
2. Inspires teams and individuals to achieve desired patient and organizational outcomes.
3. Respects and welcomes diversity in team members’ backgrounds and contributions.
4. Mentors, coaches, and develops staff for customer service and service excellence standards.
5. Utilizes effective communication techniques at all times.
|Human Resources Management
1. Assists with interviewing of qualified personnel. In the absence of the manager will hire staff as needed.
2. Ensures adequate employee competence through orientation, competency training, evaluation, quality feedback, continuing education, and competency standards
3. Utilizes rewards to recognize notable accomplishments
4. Provides corrective action and disciplinary interventions as necessary to improve employee behavior and performance.
5. Assists manager to ensure employee evaluations enhance employee growth and development.
6. Maintains appropriate staffing levels and resources to fulfill service priorities.
7. Working with the manager, the assistant manager will gain skill in working with labor issues/concerns.
8. Directly supervises and evaluates the respiratory care clinical specialists and sleep lab clinical educator who in turn provide direction to the rest of the respiratory care and sleep lab staff.
1. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact Respiratory Care and Sleep Lab. Incorporates changes in regulatory requirements and other agencies into policies, procedures, and practice guidelines as necessary.
2. Assists with developing effective controls that promote adherence to applicable State/Federal laws, and the program requirements of accreditation agencies. Helps ensure department practices are compliant with DOH and TJC accreditation standards.
3. Assists Department Manager with reviewing incident reports, complaints and other unanticipated events.
1. Provides input to Department Manager in regards to budget preparation process including volume projections, predicted expenditures, anticipated program growth and capital equipment purchases.
2. Develops and implements cost saving measures related to equipment usage, supplies, manpower and clinical applications.
3. Assist with reviewing charge master annually to ensure regulatory alignment with coding.
4. Assists with oversight of department personnel to ensure appropriate charge development and billing practices. Helps ensure appropriate coding on billing documents; reviews and adjusts rejected charges in a timely manner. Helps ensure adequate and timely medical record documentation to facilitate appropriate coding and billing.
5. Under the direction of the Department Manager, manages labor resources to meet financial targets.
6. Anticipates and works with Department Manager and Administrator on variances based on unanticipated changes that will affect budget.
Must have Bachelor Degree in related field and four years of respiratory care experience to include two years of supervisory experience.
Must be a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). Must maintain a license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) in the State of Washington. Must maintain current BCLS certification.Skills or Special Abilities:
Must possess good team building and management skills. Must be able to communicate effectively with good interpersonal skills in dealing with all levels of staff, management, physicians and the public. Must be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of respiratory care techniques. Must demonstrate patient centered care values.
|Must have Bachelor Degree in related field and four years of respiratory care experience to include two years of supervisory experience.
Must be a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT). Must maintain a license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP) in the State of Washington. Must maintain current BCLS certification.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.
|Apply for this job|