Respiratory Care Society of Washington (RCSW)
Student Sponsorship Opportunity to attend the
American Association of Respiratory Care (AARC)
House of Delegates and Congress
To Current Respiratory Care Students Enrolled in a Co-Arc Approved Respiratory Care Program:
There is an exciting opportunity for Washington state respiratory care students this fall. The RCSW will aim to sponsor one student from our state to attend the AARC House of Delegates (HOD) and International Congress. The HOD is composed of representatives from each chartered affiliate tasked to adopt rules, regulations, policies and procedures for our profession. The AARC International Respiratory Convention & Exhibition (Congress) is the largest and most comprehensive respiratory care meeting in the world.
For the past several years, the RCSW has sent one student per year to enjoy this wonderful experience. Student attendance at the AARC House of Delegates meeting promotes understanding and builds awareness of the inner workings of the AARC and the respiratory care profession. This activity supports initiatives to increase student membership, retention of membership post-graduation and may catapult you into leadership roles within our state society and beyond. This opportunity is an amazing step towards the start of your career and may open many doors for your future as a respiratory therapist!
Students who are interested in applying must first apply to the RCSW Student Engagement Committee (SEC) by the due date listed below. After the selection process is performed and a sponsored student is confirmed, the selected student must apply directly to the AARC Student Mentorship with an application that will be provided. Students must be approved by the AARC Student Mentorship program to sit on the HOD.
The HOD and Congress has made a lasting impression for students across the nation. Here is a link to view one student’s perspective:
5 Things I Learned at AARC Congress 2015 to Help Me Jump Start My Career
Once sponsored and selected by the AARC Student Mentorship Committee, you will have the opportunity to network with students from across our nation, meet some of the legends in our field, professionals you have or will read about in AARC publications, authors of textbooks and guides, as well as members of the AARC Board of Directors!
DATES: HOD Meeting & two days of Congress: November 6th – 10th 2019
LOCATION: AARC HOD Meeting: New Orleans, LA
All official Congress Lectures and exhibits unless otherwise noted will take place at: Ernest N. Morial Convention Center.
STUDENT SPONSORSHIP INCLUDES
- A Scholarship up to $1500 to cover:
- Flight to and from AARC HOD Meeting and Congress
- Lodging for 4 nights (Includes the day prior to the HOD meeting, the two days of the HOD meeting & two days of the AARC Congress – Congress attendance is not required but is encouraged and fun!)
- Transportation to and from the airport to the HOD meeting location
- A total of $250 towards food (no alcohol purchases will be reimbursed)
TO BE CONSIDERED
- You must be a current Washington state Respiratory Care student who is in good standing with your school and Respiratory Care program. Due to missing potential days during the trip.
- You must be an AARC member: please include your member number, the school you attend including how long you haven been enrolled in your respiratory program, including all contact information in top left corner.
- List of Activities: that highlights any active involvement within your program, profession and respiratory community. As well as other extracurricular activities such as community service, leadership roles, and any volunteering done past or present.
- 300 to 500-word essay in New Times Roman font, size 12, double-spaced answering the following:
a. Your story and what may have led you to the respiratory care profession.
b. Why are you interested in attending the AARC HOD meeting and AARC Congress?
c. The essay should include the importance and knowledge of our state society the RCSW, and our national organization, the AARC.
d. Lastly, how you hope to influence the field of respiratory care.
If you are selected, here’s what we expect of you:
- You will commit yourself to being available November 6th – 10th 2019.
- You will provide receipts for travel (airfare, ground transportation and lodging) to the RCSW Treasurer for sponsorship reimbursement from the RCSW SEC.
- You will be representing the RCSW at the HOD meetings. Therefore, you must show up on time for meetings, dress appropriately (business), and conduct yourself professionally.
- You may be required to write a small article about what you learned and experienced at the meeting. This will potentially be posted on our RCSW website and RCSW Facebook.
- You will be encouraged to deliver up to a ten-minute presentation during the SEC Student Section at the RCSW Annual State Conference in April about your experience and fun!
Student applications are due to the RCSW Student Engagement Committee by August 1st, 2019. Late entries will not be accepted. Selection of the sponsored student and notification to the other applicants will occur by August 14th.
Please send the finalized document and any questions/concerns to:
RCSW SEC Chair – Diamond Tildon, RRT
All the best,
RCSW Student Engagement Committee